Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Warning: This post will give you the heeby-jeebies

The following are 4 different emails I received from my mother in law:

Dad and I just came home to thousands and thousands of BEES going into our roof by the laundry room! There were so many flying around, so I opend the blinds behind my desk and this is what I saw! We just freaked! Tara, you would have died right then and there. Big D Pest Control is on their way. The creepy thing is that now, they have all gone in to the roof! That mass of bees is now gone! AUGH!
MOM


Well, the bees are dead. Now, what are we going to do with all the dead bee bodies that are laying inside the roof? Are they going to stink when the weather gets hot? I'm hoping they didn't have time to set up shop and start making their honey. If they did, we're in a real sticky mess. Because now it's mixed in with pesticides and dead bee bodies.
MOM

Just an update on our bees. Obviously, we didn't commit bee-ocide like I thought. A few of them were dead, but not very many. Our friend is a bee-keeper and he is helping us take care of them. When he opened the roof, this is what we found. They are alive and well, setting up shop and making a hive and honey. He is going to take all of them away. Can you believe this? Just some info on bees that I read on the internet--when they are busy making honey like this and full of pollen, they have little interest in stinging you. You could pick them up and they won't hurt you. That why you see beekeepers make those "beards of bees" on TV and stuff like that. But our friend is wearing a net over his head "just in case". Smart.
MOM

I'm sorry to keep sending you guys pictures, but this is the last one. This was so interesting, I had to share it. THIS is the waxy honeycomb that the bees were making! Look how white and new and fresh it looks, not old and yellow like we usually see them. I guess that's because they didn't have time to put honey in it. Earl got the queen out and the remaining bees are losing interest in the hang out. Hopefully, by morning, they will almost be gone. Now we have to figure out how to rebuild the little roof! Chris? Wanna help?
MOM

5 comments:

Gary Church said...

Oh. my. gosh.

I would have surely died. That honey comb is amazing!

LaFish said...

Oh My!! That is crazy. I would have run from the house screaming like a banshee! Seriously - I don't deal well with thousands of stinging flying insects. Ahhh!

Nancy said...

Have you ever read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd? The main character had bees that she could hear fly through her walls at night.

(friend of Brian's from freshman year at BYU).

Kendra said...

Yes, I've read that book. Loved it!

Kirsten said...

woah. that makes me glad we're still renting. (but not that glad.)
I read Secret Life of Bees, too, but I'm not about to "send them my love". Yikes!

I can't believe Tim is home from a mission! Where did time go?