Thursday, March 19, 2009

Colorado or Bust

So once again I loaded my kiddos up in the car and took off for Colorado. Now that my brother Ben and his family live so close (only 9 hours!) I visit whenever possible. But this trip was even cooler than normal because my sister Megan and her family were coming up from Austin to visit too! The reason: Russia's first birthday party! And to top it all off, I got to go visit one of my friends from high school that I haven't seen in ten years, Karen Fjeldheim (Hubert). The trip was fantastic. It would have been perfect if Nora hadn't gotten car sick on the way home, 3 times. Well, I shouldn't have left Colorado so late either... I got home at 2:30 am. I just couldn't leave Karen's house. She invited us to spend the night, but I refused because we had already stayed in Colorado longer than I'd planned, so we were out of clothes, underwear, diapers, pull-ups, and other important items like that.

Nora and Ethan were champs on the drive to Colorado Springs. We had so much fun and they were so good. This is them watching Kung Fu Panda, the movie of choice on this trip.

Everytime I pass this sign I want to get out and take pictures (purely for blog purposes!). So, since I was the only adult and my kids liked every chance they had to get out and run around... I stopped and we took pictures. Fun!

We had lunch at the cutest little rest stop. It was so beautiful. This is a pond that connects to the Colorado River. The weather was amazing. The kids threw rocks into this pond for at least twenty minutes.

At a rest stop in Vail, CO (yes, we stopped at a LOT of rest stops), the snow was covering the entire building. The door was dug out so you could get inside. It was really cool, and COLD! Ethan had to do a #2 here, so we were there for a while. I waited outside of the bathroom for Ethan and, of course, when another man went into the bathroom, Ethan decided it was time for details... "mom! I'm almost done, but there's just one little bit more that just won't come out!" The man came out laughing.Nora liked to rub the twin's head for luck. Poor guys.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture. But here is the gang. Kaiya, Ethan, Michael, Jarus, Nora, Russia, Ammon, Lincoln and James. All of my kids' cousins on my side of the family.

The birthday party was fun. Russia loved the attention and the presents... and the cupcakes.

Me and my cool sister Megan. Aren't we pretty!


After leaving Colorado Springs, I stopped by my friend Karen's house in Basalt, CO. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Karen is eight months pregnant (due in a couple of weeks). Nora and their daughter Sophia loved each other. Nora also loved Sophia's toys. After we went on a walk, played outside, and ate dinner, Nora and Sophia took a bath. Meanwhile Ethan played Play Station with Karen's husband Brent.

Karen is a beauty! We've kept in good contact through email ever since graduating from high school. I was so glad I stopped to see her. It completed a very fun car trip!

4 comments:

LaFish said...

You are a road warrior. I don't know how you do it with 2 little ones on a road trip! I loved Ethan's bathroom commentary -hilarious! Your kids are so fun!

Gary Church said...

You are what my brothers refer to as a road warrior ... something I hope I never become. :D I hate road trips ... but, good for you, Kendra! You're a great mommy!!

Bethanne said...

I'm sorry, I stalked your blog the other day to catch up and didn't have a chance comment!

Can I just say how cute your fam is though? And how you are the TROOPER extraordinaire for all the road trips you go on? We just took a 4-5 hour road trip to Houston and it was interesting. Luckily, we finally invested in a portable DVD player. Even with "new" toys, Leah still talked non-stop and Jax was still, well, Jax. I have to admit that it went better than I expected, but still. 9 hours? Yikes!

Kirsten said...

you are one brave woman! I hate even driving across town with mine! We take lots of stops, too: we know every rest stop between here and Portland. Including the one right outside town.