Thursday, May 07, 2009

First Doctor's Visit

Today I had my first doctor's visit for this pregnancy. I brought the kids along to let them feel like they are a part of this whole baby thing.... That was interesting. We didn't get in until 40 minutes after our scheduled appointment and by then the kids were going CRAZY. Anyway, I had the midwife find the heartbeat first thing and then Brian took off with the kids. That was worth it. The heart rate was about 170! Whew, that's fast. I remember Nora's was around 165 and Ethan was always in the 150's. The kids loved to hear it. They were mesmerized. And then all day long they were talking about the baby. Nora only ate half of her strawberry and then she gave me the rest and said, "here mom, this is for the baby so he can grow strong." She put blankets on me to keep the baby warm, had me read stories to her that she thought the baby would like, had to say goodnight to my belly, and told me when the baby was born she'd brush it's teeth and put it to bed. So sweet!
Anyway, back to the appointment. The midwife was really nice (I was looking for a bit more edgy and hippy, but she was pretty hip and modern, oh well). After hearing the heartbeat she answered questions and then did an examine... She said, "I don't think you are ten weeks, you are measuring more like 12 weeks." Hooray! That is great news, well sorta, it might also mean that I'm 10 weeks and I have twins. So she ordered a sono for Monday. I. can't. wait. for. Monday.
I promise to blog immediately (well, I gotta get home first) when I find out. Either way it will be a blessing, I'm just tripping out about the twin thing a little bit.

6 comments:

Chrystalee said...

Isn't it every girls dream to have twins?!?!?! OK, after having babies, not so much now. : )

Good luck and can't wait to find out the results!!!!!

: )

Rachel Durazzani said...

Twins would be so fun! I can't wait to find out. And even if it's not twins, yahoo for being farther along!
Who are your midwives? I go to a group in American Fork and I LOVE them...all of them. Some are edgy, but not too much. Although Honey (yes, that's her name) is pretty hippy.
Anyway, good luck!

Gary Church said...

So ... did she not do a sono at that appt? How could she tell that you were 12 weeks, but not if it was twins. I'm so confused ... and freakishly anxious!

After just watching my sister's 5 month old for a month straight, I actually hope, for your sanity, that it's not twins. lol. Only for your sanity ... and extra baby would of course, be wonderful. :D

Gary Church said...

Oh yeah ... I forgot that they measure the whole belly thing. Now I get it. :D

Sashafras said...

170 beats....that means it's a girl. :-) That's my guess anyway. All three of my girls had a heart rate about 160 and Tristan's boys were below that. hehe Just kind of a fun way to guess. :-)
Congratulations!

Alicia said...

Ah! Twins! I never wanted twins, even before I got married. That just sounds crazy. But at least you have Megan so you can compare notes. I haven't had a doctors appt yet. Ben's the only one who doesn't hassle me about that. The Riches are such a nice laid back group! Love you lots Kendra!