Thursday, March 10, 2011

Garden 2011

This is our cute little garden!  I'm so excited about our garden this year, I can just feel that it's going to be a productive garden.
I tried out a new method this year- Square Foot Gardening.
So my 4x4 garden is going to have 16 different plots to plant whatever my heart desires.
So far I've planted tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic, onions, spinach, cilantro, parsley, carrots, cucumbers and zucchini.  Yummy.  (and yes, I love to make homemade salsa, why do you ask?)
The smaller 3x3 bed is for the kiddos.  The each have 3 square feet to plant in.  I need to get their plants in the ground by the weekend!  So far they've said they want to plant strawberries and watermelon.  O.K.  We'll see how that goes. ;)
Whatever the result, I'm looking forward to teaching, tending, and learning about gardens this summer- oh yeah, and eating!

My friend is growing a square foot garden too- check it out

4 comments:

Sashafras said...

That looks awesome Kendra! I've read that book. It's great. Our soil isn't very good, but my dad always has a great garden so we benefit from that! :-) My dad has a great compost bin and has a box of worms in his shop that do a great job on the soil!

Megan said...

I'm planning to do a square foot garden, too! Unfortunately It's still freezy here, so I've got a while to wait before we can get started.

April Johnson said...

Square foot gardening totally rocks!!! I do it for all my root vegies. I get SO much more for the space!!!

Julie said...

Love square foot gardening--I use it with the 12 schools I advise for their garden programs. Gardening with kids is so much fun. My rule with my own sprouts is that they can grow anything they want in their raised beds--but they have to try to eat it at least three times before they can say it's yucky! Needless to say...there are a LOT of strawberries growing in their bed right now!

Have you planted "magic beans" with your kids? My kids love them. They are purple podded beans that turn green when cooked. I also like to plant things with fun names to get them excited about the veggies-- like Dragon's Tongue beans. Hope you have a great harvest, and so glad I found your blog!