I feel a bit stupid about it.
You see, I put the ladder in the bathtub to paint the high parts of the wall. The ladder didn't fit very well, so it was wobbly and not locked into place. Then I climbed right up and sat on the very top. The part that warns that it is not a step, yeah, that part is where I parked it. I had a full tray of paint and I was reaching for the wall and pushing hard with the roller to make sure I got as much paint out of each stroke as possible.
Then it happened. I rolled too hard, lost my balance and the ladder went one direction and I went the other. It was the strangest sensation. Like I was being swallowed. It happened so fast and so slow all at the same time. I had the time to have thoughts go through my head like: "Well, this wasn't a good idea", "I hope I don't land on the ladder", "Grab something!", "Help!", and "This is going to be bad."
Then I hit my head on the marble window ledge and then again on the edge of the tub. Also, this is when I lost consciousness. Somewhere in there I also sliced the heel of my right foot on the ladder and pulled the towel rod out of the wall--landing on the bent rod. Great. Also, I think I'm going to take all the kids toys out of my bathtub. I landed on a tugboat, some Little People, and a bottle of shampoo. Of course I don't remember that happening, I just noticed when Brian pulled all those things out from under me.
Brian had just got home from a trip to Chicago a mere half hour before the fall. According to Brian he heard a yell, a crash, a bang, a few more crashes and then silence. He ran to the bathroom, saw paint everywhere, the ladder was out of the tub and standing upright next to the sink, and he found me in the bottom of the tub unconscious. He said it took about 15 seconds for me to come to and respond.
I woke up to see Brian's concerned face. My head hurt a lot. I felt ok otherwise- thanks to the adrenaline. I had the shakes... and I felt stupid.
Brian called 911 and had the kids call Nana to come be with them (thank goodness for Nana). Ethan was in hysterics--he thought I was going to die (I didn't know this until he told me later, poor guy thought I was literally going to the hospital to die). So he called Nana and all he did was cry uncontrollably. Then Nora said to Ethan, "Give me the phone Ethan so I can tell Nana what's going on." She then calmly relayed to Nana what happened and asked her to come to our house. Brian was able to get on the phone and put Nana's mind at ease. Sheesh, the drama!
Our neighbor, Katie, came right over and took the kids. Then the paramedics arrived. At this point I realized I had cut my foot really bad, but it didn't seem to be bleeding so I wasn't too concerned.
I did NOT want to go the the hospital. But all I could think about where the stories of people who hit their head, didn't go to the hospital and then died the same day. I sucked up my pride and went with the paramedics on the stretcher--neck brace and all. When they helped me stand, the blood started gushing out of my heel--guess it was worse than I thought.
I was so embarrassed. I hadn't opened my eyes much because of the pain in my head, and tears were flowing unrestrained (pain, stupidity and embarrassment causes lots of tears)... I have the best neighbors and I was sure that they were all out watching the whole ordeal as I got wheeled out on the stretcher. I asked the paramedic, "How many people are watching? I'm so embarrassed." He said, "Just keep your eyes closed and it never happened." :-)
Ambulance ride, emergency room, CAT scan, x-rays.
Diagnosis: concussion and a severe laceration that needed stitches. Eight stitches.
They stitched me up and sent me home with a few prescriptions to kill pain, avoid vomiting, and protect against infection.
I'm suppose to rest for a few days and not hit my head on anything.
I'm just mad the bathroom is only half painted.
My advice: Hire painters. It is much cheaper than a trip to the E.R.








10 comments:
You win.
I am so grateful you are okay and didn't get hurt worse. It could have been so bad! Lots of tender mercies today!
Sweet Kendra!!! I'm so sorry this happened to you!!!!
Ouch!
Oh man. So glad u came out of it without serious damage! I am glad u got pics;) so sorry this happened to u especially on Easter weekend.:( thanks for the advice....i am about to start painting again....i will be careful;) i am not doing any bathrooms;)
I'd love to hear you muse a little on your realizations about risk-taking and mortality and the impact on your eldest.
I'm glad you're okay! Next time, call a friend who doesn't mind painting. I'm good at catching people. :)
Kendra how come I didn't even know you have a blog??? Sheesh I am behind on the times. What a crazy accident poor thing!! Take care of yourself - Wendy Stubbs
And P.S. how in the world do you guys look exactly the same as when I last saw you about 11-12 years ago?? It is NOT fair. You must be doing something right!!
The stitches picture makes e wince. Gross. Love your recitation of the events.
Post a Comment