Friday, July 04, 2008

The Little Things

I read this on my friend Nancy's blog:

Little Camille is a sweet, 1-year-old baby that I've never met. She is the niece of a dear friend of mine and she died 2 1/2 weeks ago in a drowning accident. I've been reading her mother's blog (who uses blogging to help cope with her loss) and it has touched me so profoundly that I wanted to respond to one of her blog posts:

Take a minute for me tonight and record the little things your kids do right
now. They don't even need to be cute things. Someday when your baby is grown you may even miss the food thrown on the ground or the face wiped on the sleeve.
Cherish the little things. For the little things are the spice in life.

(So here are a few things I've noticed about my little ones)

Nora:

* She is the weirdest eater. She eats apples like oranges (eats out the middle). She eats the crusts off of her sandwich and leaves the rest. She loves broccoli and hates peas. She loves cheese, hands down her favorite food.

* She can cry for an hour straight because I took off my glasses and put in my contacts

* She is very particular. At night she can not sleep until everything in her room is just so. Once I ran to her room because she was crying hysterically. When I opened the door she was standing there holding a toy up and saying, "Put it away!! Put it away!!"

* She likes to look pretty.

* She hates to get her poopy diapers changed.

* She is very independent and wants to do everything herself.

Ethan:

* Ethan is very smart. He likes to use big words even if he doesn't know the definition. I did something he didn't like the other day and he said, "Mom, I'm concerned and disappointed at you."

* He is a perfectionist. It's kinda of sad, but he won't do things unless he is sure he won't mess up.

* He hates dirty hands. He is constantly washing his hands or asking for a wet paper towel.

* He is very conscientious of laws and rules, especially in how they apply to others. You will never catch him in the car without his seat belt on. And he knows how to read the speed limit signs and tell you if you are exceeding the speed limit.

* He likes to negotiate. Anything and EVERYTHING is up for negotiations. Just ask the babysitters.

5 comments:

Bethanne said...

I love this post. I'm a bi-polar blogger (only posting the worst or best of my daily activities), and yet it is the little things that count. Luckily I do keep a very detailed journal for the kids (since I have no motivation to keep one for myself)...but they are so unique and hilarious and um, independent. Aren't they?

Emily B. said...

I love this! Makes me miss Nora and Ethan already. Prompted me to do the same post! Thanks!

The A Team said...

that's such a great idea. i'm going to do this too!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

Again...Great idea. And yes I do remember negotiating with Ethan a few times on why he should stay in primary class with us. I think he won abot 50% of them though. I guess I need to work on my skills.

And, nora wanting her toy put away before going to sleep...cracks me up.

Kristy said...

A mother's perspective is the best. It is so fun to see them through your eyes. Truly darling children we will greatly miss!