
I took a quilting class with a friend (Brooke) recently. Actually Brooke and I met on a plane on the way home from New York. We instantly became friends and exchanged phone numbers. We both like to quilt, so she called me up and asked if I wanted to take a class with her to learn how to do a technique called one block wonder (a bit cheesy, yes)... Of course I said yes: I love quilting, learning, and hanging out with friends.

The one block wonder is basically a technique where you stack the same type of fabric on it's repeat 6 times. Then you cut through all six layers and make equilateral triangles. There is a special order that you sew the triangles together and eventually you make hexagons that are tessellations. It's a very fun and interesting concept, I wasn't really in love with the fabric I picked, but I think it turned out just fine. It was fun to try a more traditional type of quilting. I tend to lean toward more modern looking quilting, and this is the first time I've followed a pattern that I didn't make up- also a good learning experience.

I think I learned the most from the experience of the other quilters. That is truly the best way to learn quilting, shut up and listen to the ladies with experience. They have made all the mistakes and learned all the tricks- and hopefully by listening I'll avoid a few mistakes and learn some new short cuts.
I'm selling this quilt on my Etsy shop- mostly because I wasn't in love with the fabric. Now that it's finished, I do like it quite a bit, but still I was already planning on selling it, so why not?
I can't wait to learn some more!
My etsy shop where I'm selling it:
Kendra Made
1 comment:
What a cool way to make a quilt! I would love to learn that. It eliminates the difficulty of finding coordinating fabrics :) Do you need to use a fabric with a big pattern?
Post a Comment