Thursday, March 03, 2011

Decorating a Cranial Orthotic (Baby Helmet)

My niece has torticollis and plagiocephaly (stiff neck muscles and a flat head)...  So for a couple months she is going to wear a helmet made specifically for shaping her head, preventing further flattening and helping to strengthen the correct muscles.
I think she looks absolutely adorable in it.  Her mama wanted to dress it up a bit- give it a little love (and decoration!).  So she called me, because she knows I will try anything.  Even when I have no idea what I'm doing!  So after shooting off my mouth about- "Oh!  We could decoupage some fabric on it, add some crystals!  It would be so cute!"  She went out and bought some fabric and came over.  About an hour before she showed up I realized that I in fact did not know what I was talking about.  So I did what you would've done, I googled it.  NO ONE- at least that I could find- had used fabric to decorate the helmet.  There were plenty of people who used paint, stickers and even decoupaged paper onto the helmets.  But I couldn't find one example of fabric.  So I did what I always do- I did it anyway.

You will need:
Mod Podge
Fabric- 5 coordinating types
a paint brush
a sharp small pair of scissors
Fray Check
(and if you want, some crystals!)

 We cut little squares of each type of fabric about 1" or 2" squares (not exact).  Coated the cleaned outside of the helmet with Mod Podge.  Placed the squares of fabric randomly so the entire outside was covered.  I used sharp little scissors to trim around the edges and then finished the edges of the fabric with Fray check around the outside of the helmet.


They left while it was still drying, so we didn't get to put the crystals on yet.  BUT  I think it turned out great- like a girlie patchwork quilt.  Only time will tell if this will hold up or be a complete disaster- I'm hoping for success!

I promise to add updates.
UPDATE 3/8/2011

Isn't she cute!
Crystals and last layer of Shiny Mod Podge added
(Schwarsky Crystals glued on with Elmer's craft glue)

After a month, it is holding up perfectly.  Her parents only have to touch up the edges occasionally with Mod Podge after a thorough cleaning of the inside with rubbing alcohol.  

11 comments:

AnoelleB said...

100% WIN. Can't wait to see it modelled!

Miles and Patti Hall said...

I knew you could do it. Absolutely adorable! Can't wait to see her in it!

Jared & Tristan said...

what pretty fabric! and a cute little girl too :)

Emily B. said...

Totally love it! I have such a talented Sister in Law!! I love that you'll try anything. It's cuter than anything I could have imagined!

Tee said...

Way cute! What a good idea :)

The A Team said...

That turned out so cute!!

Mollie said...

Wow, she looks so cute and happy with it. She's lucky to have you for an aunt.

mollymoo951 said...

What an adorable little girl! I love the helmet...y'all did a great job!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what's cuter - the baby, the Mod Podged helmet or the name Weezer!!! I love this. :D

Ziggyeor said...

That is adorable! Great job on going for it!

Unknown said...

Great job she looks so cute! I may show this to the woman that makes my sons orthodics. - she makes the helmets as well. Just an FYI for anyone else - the office I get my sons orthodics made also lets you put a color or a pattern in the plastic for the helmets.