Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cheap and easy PJ's (with a huge impact)

 Ethan needed new pj's, like yesterday man.
BUT (and that's a big but)- I didn't have the money to go out and purchase a bunch of expensive pajamas.  On a side note- why the heck are pajamas so expensive?
Ethan's been wearing mostly my old t-shirts, which there's nothing wrong with, I just wanted him to have some jammies that fit him.
So- it's time to get creative (but not really- this solution basically slapped me in the face at the store).  I was walking down the center aisle at Wally World and I glanced over at the boy's undershirts and I saw a 4-pack of cute little t-shirts...and right next to them a 3-pack of boxer shorts.  I didn't love the colors of the boxers so I dug to the back and- woo-hoo - there was a package with the perfect colors AND an extra pair of boxers for free!
So enter creative, personalization.  Ethan has been begging me to make him a pj shirt with a baby Yoshi on it.  Here's the how-to.
You'll need:
a t-shirt
Fabric Paint (I use Tulip brand, and the colors I don't have in fabric paint I just use my craft paints)
a paint brush
a picture of the character you want to paint
a black fabric marker
That's it!
If you want to trace the character, tape the t-shirt on a sunny window and slide the picture into the shirt and tape it inside where you want the picture to be.  Use a pen, chalk, or a disappearing fabric marker to trace the image onto the front of the shirt.  Pull the shirt down, take the image out and put some cardboard in the center of the shirt.  Then, paint!  Be creative, do something that will match your child's personality.  I use the black fabric paint pen to add definition and detail to my pictures.  The baby Yoshi I chose for Ethan's jams is going to blow him away- I'm scoring some major cool mommy points today.  I can't wait for him to get home from school!

8 comments:

Brian Hall said...

FTW! Now I want a t-shirt with a baby Yoshi!

Amanda said...

Ur awesome! And love thr frog and story below:) and I dont think ur a push over...just a loving mom!

Anonymous said...

What a resourcefull idea!

Kirsten said...

This is perfect: I've been trying to find some summer jams for Dalton, but, same, I don't want to pay $10 or more for something he's just going to sleep in. (I hate buying p.j.s for myself for the same reason.) Thanks!

Sarah said...

my solution for summer jammies is even easier, but not as cute. I cut off all the long sleeves and long pants on claire's pajamas and make them short sleeved shirts and shorts. (Shhh, don't tell. . . I don't even hem them.) Hey she might be wearing fluffy jammies with reindeer in July but she's not sweatin' and she's not naked :D

Ben said...

So what was Ethan's response? I love hearing his replies...

Kendra said...

Ethan wore them from the minute he got home from school until the next morning. He showed all the neighbors, and then he told me that I "rock". That's right people, I rock.

Brian Hall said...

And he wore them for the next three nights in a row!