Saturday, August 02, 2008

Old Poem

Ok, so I'm a saver (a.k.a. pack rat). I was going through my memory box and found this old poem I saved from when I was just a kid....

Children Learn What They Live

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight.
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.
Id a child lives with shame, he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement, he learns to confide.
If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice.
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship,
he learns to find love in the world.

The poem is pretty straightforward. Not too deep. But there are two things I really like about it. First, I like that even as a young child it rang true to me, it meant something. Second, I like how it makes me think, now that I'm an adult and on the other side of things. As a child I felt it was important because it was a declaration of how I wanted to be treated so I could be and become a good person while showing what would also make me less of a person. As an adult I see how I should behave so that each of my children can grow into their best self. Just a thought.

2 comments:

Amberly said...

I love that poem. You are such a great mom, it seems you are always thinking about how you could improve. Your kids are so lucky to have you.

Kristy said...

Awesome poem. I'd say even adults are molded by their environments and relationships, making this poem applicable for everybody!