Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hiking

Brian's been home for a week now. Woohoo! And we finally had a whole day where we didn't have to run errands or wake up to Brian already being gone for the day at school. So we went hiking in American Fork Canyon up to Timpanogos Cave. It was a beautiful day and it was a perfect family outing. The kids did great hiking. It was over 3 miles total. Nora walked almost the whole way up and over half of the way down (she was getting sleepy), and Ethan walked the entire time. The hike rises over 1,065 feet and at the cave enterance we were at 6,730 feet above sea level. Cool!

The kids were awesome. This was our first strenous hike with them, and I was impressed with how little they complained. As long as we stopped occasionally and gave them food, they were pretty happy.

This is me and the kids holding up the mountain. Ethan picked up every acorn, pinecone and cool stick he saw. We kept having to remind him to leave nature where it belongs. At home we found some acorns and rocks in his pockets, too cute.

Brian and Ethan were faster on the walk down. It kinda hurt my knees, so I had to go slow. So we got this cool picture because the guys were one zig-zag down from us.

10 comments:

Amberly said...

How fun. I really want to take my kids to do that. We loved having you guys over last night, even though our kids were honery and tired, we still enjoyed you guys. You have such a fun little family. We are so happy that you are our neighbors.

Bethanne said...

Nice work! Ms. Leah isn't really cut out for hiking I don't think. "My legs are too tired" would probably be heard too many times for my liking. But then again, maybe it's because we give in and let her ride in the stroller. Love the pictures...you guys are so cute!

Tara said...

okay when i'm up there sometime soon we really need to go to timp cave, because I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE!!!! It's almost blasphemous! I am sssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to see you on friday! Yayayayayayayayayay! I love you! haha... LOVE YER BUNS!

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

We were planning on going to Timp Cave yesterday (Sat) but backed out last minute. We are going to try for this weekend. I have never been. It looks like fun times and I'm impressed how much your kids hiked. Cute Pics!

Emily B. said...

Now it's my time for my jealous tirade...I'm so jealous! I love that hike up to Timp Cave and I miss the kiddos so much right now. I'm so sad that we're not going to the reunion...doesn't seem right.

Gary Church said...

'every acorn, pinecone, and cool stick' ... I'm laughing out loud. HE's all boy!

Gary Church said...

I imagine Nora picking all the flowers she came upon. lol.

Emily B. said...

So I just looked at your blog to see if there was anything new. THere isn't, but I clicked on the first picture of this post. What a fabulous picture! You look beautiful and your hair...anything but a 70's mom...remember when you said that? ha ha!

Amanda said...

That looks fun...and a bit scary with those cliff edges and little kids!

Kristy said...

That IS a fun hike. Kudos to the kids for being good hikers. Next year: Angel's Landing with Daddy! I love that Ethan brought some "nature" home with him in his pockets!